Wow. BaconCamp SF was a huge success. There was a great turn-out both in attendees and participants. People dressed up, people made amazing dishes and everybody went home with a full belly.
Huge, huge thanks go out to Karen Nguyen who got called away on a family emergency but got everything lined up for the rest of the volunteers to just knock it out. Amy (@netdiva) stepped up to MC and lead the charge day-of along lots of help from nudicow, @themassivebri, @dfltr, @juicysanchez,@oznog, & @micahsaul.
Now, who won? The format was simple, each of the presenters had 2 minutes to tell the judges and audience about their dish. The judges would try it and then give a score from 1 to 5. The judges were a panel of bacon and camp lovers: @iamcal, @arielwaldman, @micahsaul, @bacontoday, Otto Von Danger (founder of BaconFest), myself (@kveton) and Mike from BaconToday.com. We had 43 dishes come through and we had some good ones and we had some really amazing ones.
(Note: the prize winners are still a little sketchy on exactly who won. If you happened to win a prize or have a better memory than I, please leave a comment and I’ll correct. Accompanying pictures to follow of each dish as well)
The audience was also given 3 votes which they could put towards the “Best Overall” and we recognized those with “Grand Prize” and “Runner-up” trophies.
- Grand Prize: Maker’s Mark Ice Cream – @mooflyfoof
- Runner-up: Chicken-fried Bacon – mp
The judges also had a few prizes they wanted to hand out based on the dishes we all sampled:
- Judges Choice: The Bacone – Christian from Wikia
- Judges Choice Runner-up: Potato bacon tart
- Best presentation: Maple Bacon Lollipop
- Most scientific: Bacon Hyper-cube
- Most likely to tempt a veggie: Bacon hummus
- Best Soup: Bacon Pea Soup – @oznog
- Best effort, worst food: Bacon Brownies (hint: don’t mention poop during your preso)
Once again, thanks to everyone who came, donated, participated, cooked and then helped clean up. Can’t wait to do the next event soon!